Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Beef farmers seek compo


BEEF producers are reportedly seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation following last year's live export ban to Indonesia.
Live exports to Indonesia were suspended for a month in June last year, after footage of animals being treated inhumanely at slaughter houses was aired on ABC television.

The trade resumed after stronger auditing requirements were put in place.

Now the Government is secretly trying to head off class action by legal firm Minter Ellison, which is acting on behalf of beef producers demanding compensation, the ABC's 7.30 program reported last night.

The law firm did not comment on the program but the amount sought is reportedly worth hundreds of millions.

Speaking on the program, Independent MP Bob Katter suggested industry body Meat and Livestock Australia foot the bill.

"The body that was paid a hundred million a year to look after our interests quite frankly did nothing whatsoever ... so I would think the MLA would be caught in the action here," he said.

A spokeswoman for federal Agricultural Minister Joe Ludwig declined to comment.

"It would be inappropriate to comment on any matters that may be subject to action before the courts," she said.
Original Article Here

No comments:

Post a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...